The Manchester Historical Museum oversees two important properties: the 1823 Trask House Museum and the 1885 Seaside No. 1 Firehouse.
Founded in 1886, the Manchester Historical Society moved into its present headquarters, the Trask House, in 1925. The organization – now named the Manchester Historical Museum – exists to serve the entire community through its preservation of irreplaceable town records and artifacts, its research capacity, and its commitment to education.
New Gallery Display Dramatizes Town History
Created to help celebrate the 125th anniversary of the Manchester Historical Museum, a new display has been installed in the Assembly Hall of the Trask House and is open to the public.
This highly graphic exhibit focuses on the significant chapters of local history starting with the settlement of Jeffrey’s Creek around 1630. Next is a section about the local fishermen, privateers, and merchant sea captains who made their livings on the sea during the late 18th and 19th centuries.
Manchester’s renown as one of America’s leading centers for the manufacture of fine furniture is highlighted next.
The balance of the exhibit tells the story of the town’s emergence as a summer resort during the Gilded Age of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This was the era when prominent businessmen from throughout the United States came to Manchester to build stately summer “cottages” and enjoy the spectacular scenery and many social activities.
The exhibit features a wealth of vintage photography and lively text and serves as a self-guided introduction to a tour of the period rooms of the Trask House if desired.